Skip to main content

December - 2014 in Review

Well didn't 2014 fly by?? I've accomplished so much this year and while I didn't complete all my goals, I did come across opportunities that weren't even available at this time last year.

So to begin, what were my goals for 2014? The first was to add a new bag style to my shop every month. And while it was tough at times, I did manage to complete this goal! I've added a range of different styles this year, from messenger bags, to totes, to tablet cases and wallets. Building up my stock eventually came in handy for the last couple of months of the year with the tricky task of managing stock between a couple of selling platforms.

twelve new designs added this year


The goal I did not complete was having a stall at the Handmade Markets in Canberra. I applied for the first two of the four markets and after being unsuccessful the second time I visited the store for some feedback. The lovely Julie provided lots of helpful advice and assured my products were of a high standard but there was too much competition out there for the market. While the advice was useful, I turned my efforts to applying for the Old Bus Depot Markets instead and was accepted within a few days.

Photo: Day two at the Old Bus Depot Markets. Last market before Christmas,  looking forward to checking out the other goodies on offer!
Old Bus Depot Markets in December

Old Bus Depot was a slow start, I often left the market with the same amount of bags I had at the beginning of the day, but in the later months I met a couple of customers who provided me with custom orders and have turned into repeat customers. November was my most successful market to date with December not far behind in the Christmas peak. At this stage I do not have plans to return to markets in 2015, with my focus turning to Trove instead.

the Trove storefront

Trove has been my biggest accomplishment to date, having my items for sale in a physical shop in the heart of Canberra. It was not something I had previously dreamed about, preferring to sell myself in markets and online, but when the opportunity rose I had to apply. The benefit of Trove over other handmade shops is it is a Co-op and all members are involved in all the decisions regarding the store. I also enjoy working in the shop (one of the requirements of membership), giving me a chance for feedback from customers as well as getting to know all the other gorgeous handmade products from the eight other members.

new tablet cases - available in 7/8 inch and 10 inch sizes

And not to forget December's bag of the month - the final for 2014 - new tablet cases. What I love about these tablet cases made for women is they can double as clutches or pouches! Featuring a simple envelope design, the bright fabrics do the talking. The body is lightly padded and the flap closes with a magnetic snap. The rainbow triangle design was a hit, selling out of both sizes on the first and second day at Trove!

Lastly, another of my 2014 goals was to post monthly on my blog - which is another successfully completed!

Happy Handbags and Happy Holidays,
Kerri-Anne

Comments